Terra Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Terra Client Version 2.1.0.1.

Author Topic: Building Review - Beachheads  (Read 2925 times)

owen

• Administrator
  • FMCA
Building Review - Beachheads
« on: January 15, 2011, 04:46:48 AM »

Here's a summary of comments made about the changes to the Beachheads:

removing sump big mistake some people (1 being me ) liked sump better than dregs

to limit dregs home base to 2 vins another  huge mistake

All the BH's are tiered so that you start a Dregs with the basic's of Terra, either a Rhino or Goat and progressively get more vins to pick from as you go from 10k, 30k and 60k BH's.

With our small player base there really wasn't any need for Dregs and Sump at this time.  The Sump is still there and can be reactivated and/or relocated at anytime.

We don't need another BH area, just one BH where Benton used to be and an OP4 structure back where Dregs used to be to attack old Benton from and/or Berserker returned...  or basically just a good place for people who want to Rhino PvP easily and on OP4's dime, since the new Dregs doesn't seem to have such an area (at least not when I was checking it out, though the plain N/NW of new Gane seemed okay if there are not going to be any better options?).  A large plain with plenty of places to farp around it and plenty of Rhino bots for armor/ammo (HSM/LDM/DUP) SUPs is preferred.

The BH locations in a word...Suck.  It is literaly goat paradice.  If there is someone in a goat, rhinos are now next to useless.

Not true :)  I thoroughly wooped several goaters ass at the dregs BHs.  Terrain is a part of the game learn it and use it!

It appears that all BH's are out of grid. Am I correct on this? Why would anyone do that? You can only attack a BH from one side...how hard is that to defend? AND if you are the defender, you get stuck in the fort or get your vult shot down if you run out of cash. Everyone got their thinking caps on??? Good god man!  ;)

What Buca is talking about is running between the innermost beachheads and dregs. Previously, Benton and Nought (possibly Gane and Ex as well) were within 6 km of Dregs, allowing someone to run between them. Now that they are further than 6 km away, it is no longer possible to run between them. This is because they are on the same grid but are not owned by the same clan. As I mentioned before they were within 6 km of each other before which negates having to be owned by the same clan or being on the same grid for that matter.

I haven't really looked at this closely in-game, but it seems to me that this would explain it.

[Owen: Please note that this quote has been clipped to contain just the parts that relate to beachheads/beachheading]
The ability to make cash, build, and have outland battles are the 3 key elements of the game and detrimental to keeping players interested. Past changes to these elements of the game have proven their sensitivity in relation to keeping a large vs. small active player base.

By reducing the amount of beachheads and increasing the difficulty and time required to build, you will more than likely notice that player type 2 [Owen: "builders"] will almost immediately stop playing. With fewer beachheads to make cash, they are forced to confront player type 1 [Owen: those that focus on player-vs-player combat]. This makes cash very hard to make for them. Now add the fact that building is much more of a chore now, and it’s easy to see why this player left.

Player type 3 [Owen: New/inexperienced player] is also forced to confront player type 1. Although many player type 1’s will try and help player type 3 improve their skills and understanding of the game, few will return after getting repeatedly killed during this process. And some don’t bother to help at all, but just kill player type 3 until he leaves.

Also large clans now resort to either sitting in the dregs after BH’s are blue, logging in as a swid clan or leaving the game, as there is nowhere else to go make cash. And with cash being scarcer and the added difficulty in the whole process of building forts or mb’s, few will even bother to build anything. Many don’t have that much time to donate to the whole building process. It is quite a chore for a small piece of gratification, especially when compared to the many other game options available today.

Player type 1 will also eventually leave, as there are few outland battles and few players to stalk at the BH’s. With the extremely large map, small number of potential targets and PITA of building, few are sweeping and seeding. Player type 2 is long gone, so there is nobody to battle, other than the occasional noob that pops in for a brief moment.

In a nutshell:
It’s already been proven that the ability to make cash and build needs to be made as simple as possible. That is why the price of building was reduced several years ago. Also why new BH’s and the Sump were incorporated into the game. Terra was lacking battles and players when these changes were made. It just seems like a lot of back-peddling to me.

I think most appreciate and enjoy new additions to the game. However, taking features away or hindering them has never been favored in the past.

I can't see how it's so hard for a clan to make cash and build. Both sides either cycle bhs.

Quote from: ValiumZ/Online Discussion
Boats should be available to FARP at Dregs and/or the 10K Beachheads
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 11:17:07 AM by owen »